Re: Upstreaming 300-binutils-avr-size.patch

Hi Cynthia,

I did actually take a look at this particular patch - to enhance the size program. But I did not like it. What I found worrying was the fact that it was adding a lot of AVR specific code to what is currently a very generic program. The patch did not explain why this code is needed, nor why the current output from the size program is insufficient.

Without context, I cannot be sure, but I suspect that the size program is not the right place for this sort of enhancement. perhaps readelf or an AVR specific tool would be more appropriate.

Cheers
  Nick