gprof question: derivation of the uncertainty/error result

Hello all,

In the info documentation for gprof, Section 6.1 (Statistical Sampling Error)
states, "For N samples, the expected error is the square-root of N."
However, the derivation or source of this result is not cited.

I would be grateful for any information that would help to explain how this
result was obtained or to locate the person who could explain it.  I got no
reply yet from the address that I found for Jay Fenlason, who was credited
with writing the GNU version of gprof, and the result does not appear in
either of the papers associated with the earlier Berkeley gprof.

Thank you,
--
David Flater, National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S.A.