Re: objdump recognising ARM ELF file

On 02/08/13 14:37, Richard Sandiford wrote:
Jon Grant <jg@jguk.org> writes:
I am using cygwin's objdump, to look at an ARM ELF image. I noticed it
shows as "UNKNOWN!". Was compiled by ARM RVCT compiler. Where the
architecture is not known in this case, could the code number be
output? (or is that the flags?). Is there a way to add this ARM
architecture to the list. Was compiled by RVCT as Cortex-A9, fpu=VFPv3

By default objdump only supports the file formats of the host system
(in this case cygwin).  You need "cross" versions of binutils if you
want to look at objects for other architectures.  Cygwin might already
have an ARM package you can use, but if not, I'm afraid you'll need
to build binutils yourself.

Hi Richard, Thank you for the info. That makes sense.
I had expected that although objdump wouldn't be able to disassemble ARM, it would be able to recognise the file and say it was an ARM ELF file.

Best regards, Jon