RE: [MIPS] Is it legal for the assembler to generate more than 64K sections?

How is this fine if the ABI it is reading into only supports 16 bits?

typedef struct
{
  unsigned char	e_ident[EI_NIDENT];	/* Magic number and other info */
  Elf32_Half	e_type;			/* Object file type */
  Elf32_Half	e_machine;		/* Architecture */
  Elf32_Word	e_version;		/* Object file version */
  Elf32_Addr	e_entry;		/* Entry point virtual address */
  Elf32_Off	e_phoff;		/* Program header table file offset */
  Elf32_Off	e_shoff;		/* Section header table file offset */
  Elf32_Word	e_flags;		/* Processor-specific flags */
  Elf32_Half	e_ehsize;		/* ELF header size in bytes */
  Elf32_Half	e_phentsize;		/* Program header table entry size */
  Elf32_Half	e_phnum;		/* Program header table entry count */
  Elf32_Half	e_shentsize;		/* Section header table entry size */
  Elf32_Half	e_shnum;		/* Section header table entry count */
  Elf32_Half	e_shstrndx;		/* Section header string table index */
} Elf32_Ehdr;

/* Symbol table entry.  */

typedef struct
{
  Elf32_Word	st_name;		/* Symbol name (string tbl index) */
  Elf32_Addr	st_value;		/* Symbol value */
  Elf32_Word	st_size;		/* Symbol size */
  unsigned char	st_info;		/* Symbol type and binding */
  unsigned char	st_other;		/* Symbol visibility */
  Elf32_Section	st_shndx;		/* Section index */
} Elf32_Sym;

Does this mean everywhere in binutils and glibc for MIPS that there is a data structure that could store a section index that it needs to be increased to 32 bits?

Or does it mean that even though the gABI seems to handled 32 bit sections, for MIPS we should reject that amount because it will be illegal for the MIPS ABI?

Thanks,

Jack