Re: Biutils compatilibility breakage in 2.24 for PPC

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:49:49PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 01:54:42PM +0000, alexandru.sardan@freescale.com wrote:
> > Is there any plan to revert this in the future
>
> Nope.  The great majority of ppc64 code benefits from having @h and
> @ha report 32-bit signed overflow, rather than silently overflowing at
> runtime.

You could have introduced new overflow checking variants instead of
breaking backwards compatibility, or added a flag to enable such
checking.

> > and maybe introduce another modifier that does the desired job?
>
> Already available.  @high and @higha

If we use these, then the code will not build on older binutils.  If this
compatibility breakage remains, we'll have to test the binutils version
and do some sort of ifdef based on it.  Not nice.

-Scott