Re: Why is gold still beta?

On 04/02/2015 04:25 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Christoph GrÃninger <foss@grueninger.de> wrote:

I think it can come out of beta when some distro makes it the
standard linker.

Sounds like an chicken-and-egg problem to me. Which distro will include
a beta linker as their default?

The people who select the software to provide in distros are not, in
my experience, hung up on labels.
I certainly hope not :-)

For Fedora we didn't have any compelling cases that argued for switching the default to gold. So we kept the default but install both and allow switching the system linker using the "alternatives" mechanism.

I'd like to revisit again at some point.

jeff