Re: Downgrade linker error on protected symbols in .dynbss to a warning

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 05:49:05AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 4:58 AM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 03:49:23AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >> Adding a warning is wrong since it is OK to have copy relocation against
> >> protected symbol.  It works with glibc 2.22.
> >
> > Not without gcc changes, and the gcc changes you posted will generate
> > code that is wrong if using glibc 2.21.  Somehow you even got your
>
> GCC 5 is no more wrong than before with older glibc.

This is false.  Your gcc5 change with glibc 2.22 fixes just one
particular use of protected visibility variables, a definition in a
shared library and a reference in a non-PIC executable.

Previous versions of gcc work properly with glibc-2.21 and earlier for
- more than one shared library with definitions of a protected
  visibility variable,
- a shared library with a definition of a protected variable, and an
  executable with a definition of the same variable.
Those cases are both broken with gcc-5 and glibc-2.21, on x86.

Note that I'm not against the overall idea of your changes.  In fact,
I think the idea is quite reasonable.  What I'm complaining about is
the complete lack of any checking for older glibc in the case of the
gcc change, and lack of checks for older gcc in the binutils change.

> > changes past review into gcc-5!  That's sad for gcc-5 on x86_64.
>
> That is a matter of opinion.

I've given you two regressions above.  Another one is that shared
library code using protected variables is now worse than it was
before, not that that matters too much.

> >>  Totally revert my patch is
> >> also wrong as indicated by tests I added since protected symbols
> >> should reference globally on targets with copy relocation. It will also fail
> >> the new protected symbol tests in glibc.
> >
> > Please show me who approved your patch in the first place.
>
> Since my patch is limited to x86, I thought it was OK.
>
> > I'll OK a patch that leaves the warning enabled for previous gcc code
> > but disables it when detecting code that is safe to use with .dynbss
> > copies of protected visibility variables.  Otherwise you are just
> > hiding a real problem, as reported in PR15228.  Exactly how you detect
> > the safe code is up to you.
>
> It was about the incorrect shared library with protected symbols and
> it is a run-time issue. How can linker know if the run-time shared library
> is safe at link-time?
>
> The real problem on x86 in GCC and glibc has been fixed on x86.
> I will re-install my patch which is limited to x86.

Please don't.  Your x86 users won't thank you when they trip over
pr15228 when using older versions of gcc.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM