Re: Buidling binutils in gcc source directory

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 09:25:48PM -0400, Michael Darling wrote:
>> 1. Why is it expecting the binutils binaries to be in
>> top-source-dir/binutils/ when they are all in
>> top-source-dir/binutils/binutils/  ?  I'm not supposed to check out
>> binutils git into the base gcc directory, am I?  There's a bunch of
>> files that will conflict.
>
> It's been a while since I bothered with a combined build, but yes, you
> need to merge the binutils source tree with the gcc source tree.
> google gcc binutils combined build.

been a long time since I tried this as well, but I believe you want to
check out gcc last,
and IIRC something to the effect of the following can work for
checking out into a combined working directory (not really tested)

GIT_DIR=~/git/binutils-gdb/.git git read-tree  master
GIT_DIR=~/git/binutils-gdb/.git git checkout-index -u -f -a

GIT_DIR=~/git/gcc/.git git read-tree  master
GIT_DIR=~/git/gcc/.git git checkout-index -u -f -a