RE: Getting started with GNU Assembler

> I am interested in understanding and contributing to AS of binutils.
> Any documentation, tutorials/ links that would help get started would be
> highly appreciated.

I would have a read of the user documentation at:
https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.25/as/index.html, and the gas internal
documentation in the following file: gas/doc/internals.texi.

You might also find it useful to read about the bfd library as this is what
gas uses to perform relocations and for writing out the final object file.  The
internal documentation for bfd is here: bfd/doc/bfdint.texi.

> How so I set it up for debugging and what are all the test suites to be run
> for sanity checking before submit the patch?

I would recommend running the ld and gas testsuites before submitting a patch.

Regards,

Andrew