Re: Release 2.26 - Next week ?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 05:26:09AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> My x86-64 kernel has
>
> # CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
> CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
>
> Will I see the problem if I turn on CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and turn
> off CONFIG_RELOCATABLE?

No.  The Linux kernel problem is specific to ppc64 ELFv2, and the
.TOC. symbol.

> > The important question is:  Was PR4317 just cosmetic?
> >

> I don't remember what triggered me to open the bug.

So, Tristan, should I revert my PR4317 patch for 2.26?

The argument for this action is that we have a presumed cosmetic fix
that causes a known regression.  The regression failure has been
analyzed sufficiently to know the exact cause.  There is also some
small chance that other projects that post-process a final-linked
executable might similarly fail when undefined symbols are removed.

Against that is the fact that the PR4317 patch has been applied for
quite a while, and the kernel or anything else that depends on
undefined symbols in an executable is quite fragile if not downright
buggy.

I'm inclined to revert the patch for 2.26 but leave it in for 2.27.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM