Re: Are ppc*_elf_write_core_note Os-specific?

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:35:33 AM H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> How does GDB tell Linux binary from FreeBSD binary?
> >
> > For the purposes of choosing a gdbarch to use (and a corresponding set of
> > 'tdep' code to use for parsing register notes, etc.) there are various
> > tests used.  The bits I understand are in gdb/osabi.c and test for various
> > things including the elf_osabi field but also .note.ABI-tag notes?  I think
> > some (most?) of this detection is to handle historical cases.  I'm not sure
> > of the history enough to know which fields are set in modern binaries (and
> > thus used to choose an ABI).
> >
> > The current code to generate a core from within gdb in fbsd-tdep.c overrides
> > the osabi of the bfd before outputting notes:
> >
> > static char *
> > fbsd_make_corefile_notes (struct gdbarch *gdbarch, bfd *obfd, int *note_size)
> > {
> >
> >   /* Put a "FreeBSD" label in the ELF header.  */
> >   i_ehdrp = elf_elfheader (obfd);
> >   i_ehdrp->e_ident[EI_OSABI] = ELFOSABI_FREEBSD;
> >
> > (This may be unnecessary since the core is created using the same target as
> > the executable file.  I will have to try that and see.)
> >
> > This is already used in elfcore_write_xstatereg to determine the note name to
> > use when writing out a register note for XSAVE state:
> >
> > char *
> > elfcore_write_xstatereg (bfd *abfd, char *buf, int *bufsiz,
> >                          const void *xfpregs, int size)
> > {
> >   char *note_name;
> >   if (get_elf_backend_data (abfd)->elf_osabi == ELFOSABI_FREEBSD)
> >     note_name = "FreeBSD";
> >   else
> >     note_name = "LINUX";
> >   return elfcore_write_note (abfd, buf, bufsiz,
> >                              note_name, NT_X86_XSTATE, xfpregs, size);
> > }
> >
> > linux-tdep.c doesn't appear to explicitly set the osabi, and FreeBSD and
> > Linux are the only targets in gdb that I see that support writing out corefile
> > notes.
> >

> We could do
>
> 1.  Pass OS selection from GDB to BFD.  Or
> 2.  Factor out OS selection from GDB and put it into GDB so that it
> can be used by both GDB and BFD.

I can work with whatever approach you think is best.  Note that some of
the logic in osabi.c is to deal with older binaries (a.out, older ELF when
different "branding" strategies were used, etc.).  For the purposes of
generating new binaries, checking elf_osabi in the ELF-specific core code
as in elfcore_write_xstatereg might be sufficient for 1.

For 2., the existing logic is used to choose a specific gdbarch (which I
think would be akin to detecting a specific BFD target to use).  You could
already perhaps do this without additional changes if the write_core_note
override were a per-target override (e.g. x86_64_elf64_fbsd_vec could have
a FreeBSD-specific write_core_note).  However, I don't generally see
Linux-specific targets (which I think you would want to hold
Linux-specific write_core_note's so that the "generic" targets did not
provide overrides, though only architectures that want a custom
write_core_note would need that).  My understanding of BFD targets is
quite limited however, and it maybe that write_core_note is already a
target method (or it might be that write_core_note in a BFD target would
be a layering violation).

--
John Baldwin