Re: Preventing preemption of 'protected' symbols in GNU ld 2.26

>>> What relocation do you propose to access external protected
>>> symbol on x86 for non-PIC code?
>>
>> Non-PIC code can still use a GOT, can't it?
>
> Yes.

Right.

Some additional thoughts:

- This has nothing to do with PIE. Non-PIC-non-PIE code has been
living with this restriction for at least 18 years (since visiblity
was introduced into the gABI).

- This has nothing to do with Ulrich's diatribe against protected
visibility, which applies only to function symbols (and really only to
one platform, due to how function pointer comparison works).

- You don't need to go full-on PIC to reference a protected data
symbol in a shared library. You can always statically initialize a
pointer variable, and go indirect through that ("poor-man's PIC").

- We could add support for __attribute__((dllimport)) or
__declspec(dllimport) when declaring an external variable that is
expected to be defined in a shared library (ideally, that attribute
ought to be placed in the library's public interface). The compiler
can generate a PIC-style reference for that variable without
penalizing all the other variables in the main program. This is how
HP-UX compilers work on PA and Itanium (using #pragma external).

- Compilers could also generate tentative PIC-style references, with
sufficient relocations to allow the linker to convert the indirect
reference to a direct reference when possible (changing the second
load into a nop or copy). HP-UX also does this.

- Indirect references from PIC code to a protected symbol penalize the
common case (referencing a symbol within its own module) to support
the uncommon case, while introducing the nasty side effects of a COPY
relocation.

- COPY relocations are evil. They bind an application to a specific
version of a shared library's ABI, and introduce a hidden startup
cost. If we're going to make any changes, we should be moving towards
elimination of COPY relocations, rather than disabling features that
were designed to improve performance.

- Arguing that protected means that the definition is in the same
module but its address might be external is absurd. The *only* reason
for the gABI to make that guarantee is so the compilers can optimize
the code based on the knowledge that the symbol can't be pre-empted.

-cary