Re: Preventing preemption of 'protected' symbols in GNU ld 2.26

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/30/2016 06:40 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:
>>>
>>> It would help me immensely on the GCC side if things if you and Alan
>>> could
>>> easily summarize correct behavior and the impact if we were to just
>>> revert
>>> HJ's change.  A testcase would be amazingly helpful too.
>>

>> It looks like it's not just the one change. There's this patch:
>>
>>     https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-07/msg01871.html
>>
>> which took the idea that protected can still be pre-empted by a COPY
>> relocation and extended it to three more targets that use COPY
>> relocations.
>>
>> I wonder how many other patches have been based on the same
>> misunderstanding?
>
> I don't think it was many -- I certainly recall the arm/aarch64 variant.
> There may have been one other varasm.c change in this space or I might be
> conflating it with the arm/aarch64 change.  Tracking those down is naturally
> part of this work.

The glibc tests elf/tst-protected1{a,b}.c also need to be reviewed at
the same time.  IIUC, the reason the patch above went in were to fix
failures on arm / aarch64 with those tests. I haven't yet worked out
whether all this is the same issue.

CC'ing Szabolcs.

Thanks,
Ramana