Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1

On 6/22/16 9:49 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 22 Jun 2016 09:26, Peter Bergner wrote:
On 6/10/16 10:02 AM, Tristan Gingold wrote:
I'd like to create the 2.27 branch soon, and also to build the 2.26.1 release.
If you have any pending patch you'd like to have in one of these releases, please speak quickly!

Our hardware people just contacted me this morning about a few new
instructions being added to ISA 3.0 (ie, POWER9).  I'd like to add
those to trunk to make 2.27.  I can have them committed today if
that's alright with you.

wasn't the idea of doing two releases a year specifically to avoid
this last minute kind of rush ?  is this hardware going to be coming
out in the next 6 months such that everyone will have access to it ?

We're trying to catch a distro freeze that will use 2.27 and 2.27
already has support for ISA 3.0...minus these few instructions.
We'd like for the assembler if it supports ISA 3.0, to support all
ISA 3.0 instructions.  Some of these new instructions are also
insns userland programs would/will use.

It's not like this change will affect other arches.

Peter