Re: RFH: Annotating ELF binaries

Hi

Great idea! I recall Ada toolsets annotating objects
long ago so there was a traceable record of how they
were compiled, what source file version, etc. That
all required closed source tools though.

Chris Johns from RTEMS has been investigating
add ELF annotations to RTEMS and Newlib to indicate which
standards a particular method adheres to. We think this
would assist in evaluating the conformance of a program
to various standards. It hasn't reached the point of
making a public proposal but the underlying idea of
leveraging ELF annotation is similar.

I have cc'ed him so he is aware of this. Perhaps there
is some synergy.

--joel