Re: Some RISC-V Post-Merge Cleanup

On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 09:34:30 PDT (-0700), szabolcs.nagy@arm.com wrote:
> On 01/11/16 21:43, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
>> Thanks to everyone who helped us get our port upstream.  We're still cleaning
>> things up on our end, but I have a few small patches to submit here.  The
>> MAINTAINERS patch was suggested during upstreaming and isn't very interesting.
>>
>> Andrew recently went and cleaned up the floating point support in GCC and GAS
>> on RISC-V so now we can support the Q (128-bit floating point) extension
>> cleanly.  This does break stuff, but since the port has only been live since
>> this morning hopefully it's all OK :).
>>
>> There will probably have to be a few more things like this that come up over
>> the next month or so as people start using the port and finding various issues
>> in it.  With these patches we can move our toolchain repo (which builds our GCC
>> and glibc ports) to use binutils-gdb/master so hopefully these sorts of issues
>> will get ironed out quickly.
>
> is there some specification about the pcs/elf/sysv abi?
>
> i thought risc-v was an open project but i cannot find related
> discussions archived.
>
> (in particular i'd like to see the reasoning behind the tls abi)

There isn't, but only because we haven't been good at documenting things.
Andrew did the port largely in isolation, so there wasn't much discussion about
design decisions (because there really wasn't anyone to talk to).  Any
discussion would be on the sw-dev mailing list

  https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/forum/#!forum/sw-dev

but there probably hasn't been much, if any.  We realize this is bad, and we're
actively trying to fix it: just yesterday we decided to start a ELF psABI
document

  https://github.com/riscv/riscv-elf-psabi-doc

but it's extremely sparse right now.  If you've got any questions or comments
I'd love to hear them, there's probably a bunch of stuff we did poorly and
there's still a little time left to fix things before there's a release.  Even
if it's not something we got outright wrong, anything odd is worth adding to
the document.