Re: RFH: Annotating ELF binaries

On 11/05/2016 12:57 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

  We (the tools team at Red Hat) are working on a project to add
  annotations to ELF binaries, so that we can answer various questions
  about them.  We have set up a wiki page about the project here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Toolchain/Watermark#Markup_for_ELF_objects

  We would very much like this to be something more than just an
  internal project, and so we are reaching out to you for your opinions,
  suggestions and advice.  If you are interested in being able answer
  questions such as 'how was this function compiled ?' or 'is this
  library compatible with this application ?' then please take a minute
  to have a look at the proposal.

Wearing my Go hat, I observe that you are mixing together general
properties ("Which (architecture specific) ABI variant is in use in
object X?") with language-specific properties ("agree upon the format
of long double?").  I encourage a clear separation of those two
different kinds of notes.

I'm not sure how to draw the line. I consider the size and format of “long double” very much an ABI matter.

The psABI uses C types throughout, although it is used for much more than just C . There is no language-independent name I know of for the floating point type larger than the type which resembles IEEE double precision floats. But I would expect that Ada's definition of Long_Long_Float would have to be adjusted to align with ABI changes in this area.

Thanks,
Florian