Re: objdump of binary for micromips.

On 2017-01-11 19:55, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, Kenneth Johansson wrote:

you specified the arch as mips, so you'll get mips32.  if you run
`objdump -h`, you'll see a huge list of other arch values.  you
probably want to use something like "mips:micromips".
-mike
tanks I did not understand the syntax but it did still not work out. the
lauterbach trace32 debug understands the code but objdump gets confused.
  The `-M mips:micromips' option is only really there for binaries with no
symbol information available, so that you can manually choose the correct
disassembly mode, e.g. for the binary or SREC BFD.  If the binary you
examine does have symbol information, then the ISA mode will be determined
on a function by function basis according to ISA annotation recorded with
individual symbols in the symbol table, ignoring any `-M mips:micromips'
(or `-M mips:16') override.  So either your code is really made of regular
MIPS instructions or you have got symbol annotation wrong in your binary
-- which sometimes happens in handcoded assembly that hasn't been written
correctly (GCC is supposed to get it right for generated code).

  If you think the binary has been or should have been annotated correctly
and believe this is a toolchain bug, then please provide us with a test
case and we will investigate.

no this was from a binary blob so no symbols no nothing and turned out to be a mix of normal mips32 and mips16 and not micromips as I thought it was.

The only way I could read it was to disassemble only small parts at a time and then change the flags if it looked to strange.

But one thing I do think is a "bug" or at least a missing feature is that there seems to be no way to make loads and stores that is relative to a register display the offset in hex now it only uses decimal and that is very inconvenient.

 890372a:       f401 da88       sw      a0,3080(v0)

would have been much easier to read/grep if it would have been
 890372a:       f401 da88       sw      a0,0xc08(v0)

as it happens that most(all) documentation for hardware uses hex numbers for hardware register addresses.