Re: Building binutils with newly created target

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 10:00:02AM -0500, David Leach wrote:
> Thanks. That worked after I installed the automake-1.11 tools.
>
> Is there a reason binutils uses the older automake/aclocal tools?

We keep these generated files in the source repository to make it
easier for users to build binutils.  A particular version was chosen
so there wouldn't be churn in the source repository due to maintainers
updating with differing autotools.  The fact that it has remained at
these old versions is just due to inertia.

> Also, I'm not familiar with submitting to open source projects but it
> would be useful to update the instructions in the
> 'binutils-porting-guide.txt'. Is there any guidance on how I should
> approach this?

I'm not too sure about changes to that file myself.  Posting a diff -u
patch here on this mailing list would probably be best.  See
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html for information about contributing
(to GCC, but the same holds for binutils).

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM