GNU ld and file offset alignment

Hi,

I have a question regarding GNU ld and I was hoping you could help me.

When ld writes a section to an ELF executable, how does the
section alignment specified in the linker script influence the choice
of file offset for this section, assuming '-n' is being used?
Say, if I set the section address alignment to 0x1000, will ld also
page-align it on disk? My experiments suggest that that is the case
but I wanted to be sure that this is not accidental.

Thanks,

Martim