Re: meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:33:58 -0700
Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:

> > Same date. From both commits I can build libbfd. From equality of
> > dates stamped in the source not follow ABI compatibility.
> > Plus
> >
> >   git diff 0d8a80b95 7a261482f
> >
> > ---from different stamped dates not follow ABI incompatibility.
>
> The version number is completely different, however. I don't think
> anyone is saying that the date is the unique element in determining
> compatibility or not.

It is evident for me. But in the discussion I see a lot of arguments,
that I treat as "date stamp is used as ABI compatibility marker".

The version string is different, yes. It assigned (at least I'm expect this)
by human (i.e. not bot) that want mark ABI compatibility.
[Under "version string" I mean here SONAME record of libbfd, because
ABI version != lib version].

--

  - ptr