Re: some topics for discussion

Brendan Kehoe wrote:
>   * what are the primary reasons that many embedded developers tend not to use
>     C++ for their applications or other programs?

It's in large part cultural. I came to the embedded world from writing
large apps on workstations. Most of the embedded software people were
more hardware oriented. We had very little in common. Fortunately
we could divide the work along the lines of hardware/ISR/driver and
the rest the software. OO and C++ were seen a slow, bloated, and
unecessary.

>   * if there are ways that exception handling can be used without too much
>     runtime cost?

As exceptions haven't been thread safe so i really haven't had a chance
to consider this :-)

>   * if there are optimizations that could be applied (but aren't yet, or are
>     only in a limited sense) to compensate for the needs of an RTOS or
>     similar environment?

A big issue is changing configurations on the fly without
rebooting. This is very difficult and is very common.

      tmh@possibility.com   http://www.possibility.com/Tmh
   Desperate measures require the invention of desperate times.
      -- Todd Hoff