Re: timer idioms in embedded system

Aerospace Software wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> From a code maintenance point of view, it is better to have a separate SW
> timer for each and every event that needs timing.  In order to get a picture
> of what the system is doing, simply take a snapshot of the timers. This
> method is akin to a finite state machine and has the same good
> characteristics - all events and states are defined and nothing unexpected
> can possibly happen.
>
> I infer from you example that you are probably using a single code
> thread/task -whatever you want to call it. If you are using a multi tasking
> system, then waiting for a timer to expire in a tight loop is not a good
> idea, since the system could have used the time to do something else.

Correct. The current system is a single thread that updates several
state machines (eg. command parser, system state).

> Consider implementing a simple scheduler - round robin, run to completion is
> usually good enough. Let the tasks communicate with each other through
> either message passing and queues (if it is important that the sequence of
> event be preserved) or with a bulletin board of semaphores/flags (if the
> sequence of events are not important). Keep the system exclusively event
> driven based upon these inputs and never ever make it sit in a wait loop.

That's my ultimate plan when I ultimately change platforms, but the
current platform is severely memory-limited and there's no room for an
RTOS.

> Your timer interrupt handler could then communicate with the tasks either by
> posting a message to a queue, or setting a flag, or calling a procedure (for
> regular repetitive events).
>
> Note that you already have a 'single counter' as you were thinking of.  This
> is non other than the HW counter used to create the interrupt tick and it is
> rather inconvenient to use from a SW point of view. Therefore, it is safe to
> assume that if you simply use the HW counter as a prescaler to another SW
> timer, it will remain equally inconvenient!
>
> The trick is to optimise the timer code such that the system can scan the
> active timers very quickly and only spend appreciable time on the ones that
> are active.

For limited memory, it's actually pretty optimized now. With more RAM, I
could implement separate tasks with their own stacks and timer delta
lists as described in the 2nd volume of _Internetworking with TCP/IP_.

--
Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com