Re: template bloat

At 08:07 PM 8/27/98 +0800, Jackie Chen wrote:
>In our system, we use Diab Data compiler and pSOS real time OS. Someone from
>DDI said following.
>
>   There may be difficulties in trying to use STL with pSoS.  For one thing,
>   the iostream libraries do not work with pSoS.  Also, there are static
>   members in many of the template classes which would result in not being
>   thread safe in a RTOS.  If you are concerned about why you can't get a
>   compile, please send us the code that you are trying to compile and I
>   can look at it.  However, I think there are real run-time concerns about
>   using STL in pSOS.

Don't mistake limitations of a particular implementation for limitations of
a library specification. There is nothing inherent in the Standard C++
Library that prevents it from being written in a way that will work
correctly and safely in a multi-threaded environment. Dinkumware's
implementation of the Standard C++ Library, for example, is used by several
compiler vendors in the embedded market.
Dinkumware, Ltd.
"Genuine Software"