Re: gas-test target

Doug Evans wrote:

> Dave Brolley writes:

>  > I thought about this a little more and it seems to me that the
>  > generated script should be part of the source tree and checked
>  > into the repository, since the best way to update the testsuite
>  > is to edit it and run it again. Currently, I keep a copy of the
>  > script stashed away in case I need to update the testsuite.
>  >
>  > What does everyone think?
>
> The first thing that comes to mind is that we want to have less
> generated code checked in than we do now.  To a first approximation
> this is heading in the wrong direction, though maybe there are
> compelling reasons to treat this differently.

The most compelling reason for treating this differently is that
the generated script is only a starting point and is intended to
be examined/modified. Indeed, as we have discussed, the most
practical way to enhance the test suite is to modify the
generated script. Once modified, it is no longer a generated
file, nor can it be automatically reproduced from scratch. This
leaves no choice but to keep it in the repository in order to
preserve it.

Dave