Re: current state of ia32, and using cgen for a binary optimiser

Hi -

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 12:06:55PM +0000, Alex B Brown wrote:
: My 3rd year project at Manchester university is to develop a pentium
: code reorganiser - for optimising branch prediction and icache usage.
: [...] Cgen looks like it would be able to build a tool to do this [...]

Sounds interesting.  Yeah, this sort of thing should eventually
be within cgen's reach.

: will this require a lot of new work on/with gcen, or is this similar
: enough to what you already do that I can hack it?

Well, one way to go is to use the existing assembler / disassembler
routines, as in the opcodes/ tree for more mature ports.  There isn't
much high level support for this sort of analysis yet though, so you'd
have to either extend cgen to emit your desired data generally (ideal),
or hard-code ia32-specific manipulations (pretty messy).

: is the ia32 description complete and correct?

It's more of a sketch.

- FChE

PGP signature