Re: [patch] cgen/opc-ibld.scm

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Ben Elliston wrote:
> >
> >    This small patch removes some warnings when compiling opcodes.
> >
> > In general, I'm not a fan of such annotations in the source.  It detracts
> > from the readability of the program.  IMHO, the compiler should be fixed to
> > emit sensible warnings instead.
>
> Er, the compiler has been fixed.  The only thing left is probably to
> eliminate -Wunused-params from -Wall.

To expand,

The original -Wunused warning checked for many many things, some were
useful, some were not.
Ignoring -Wunused-parameters, the -Wunused warnings (assuming no hasty
#ifdefs :-) can be fixed by deleting unused code - QED. On the other
hand, if your code contains lots of virtual functions (like GDB),
-Wunused-parameters is pretty useless.  For instance:

	o	user one hand codes function
		doesn't use a parameter (a)
		so adds ATTRIB_UNUSED
		to it.

	o	user two changes function
		so that parameter A is used
		but B is not.  Probably of
		user remembering to remove
		ATTRIB_UNUSED from A 0%.

Over time the code is going to accumulate meanginless ATTRIB_UNUSEDs.  I
can't see any real benefit in doing this.  One might as well just add
ATTRIB_UNUSED to all parameters or, better, be more selective and not
include that warning. :-)

	Andrew