Re: PATCH: string-expansion macros

fche@redhat.com (Frank Ch. Eigler) writes:

> : I'd like to know why the old code tried to match macros before hard
> : insns?  The reason I need to try hard insns before macros is that for
> : my MIPS-like port, string macros catch cases that can't be handled by
> : one insn, and implement a "virtual insn" that do things in 2 or 3 hard
> : insns.  [...]
>
> Yes, this makes sense in most cases, but methinks there are other
> opposite cases also.

Can you think of an example?

> It would be nice to control ordering preference
> by some attribute.

OK.  How about this: macro insns with attribute "POST" are forced
to match after real insns.

> The biggest part that bothers me is that conditional messing-about
> with the md_assemble function.

FYI, it didn't bother the gas maintainers.  That part of the patch was
approved a couple weeks ago.

> Rather than call it recursively like this,

Where do you see recursion?

> I'd much rather see use of the gas sb (string-buffer) structure,
> and treatment as expanded gas macro bodies.

That's what I'm doing.  Can you suggest a better way?

Greg