Re: Getting started...

Hi -

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:53:05PM -0500, Jakob Nielsen wrote:
: I am working in the field of DSP Engineering and is currently working on
: a specification for a new Ultra Low power DSP Core. [...]
: 1) I have successfully installed Guile 1.4

Good.

: 2) When I try to run the ./configure file from the unpacked
: cgen-1.0.tar.gz file I get [nearly nothing]
: 3) When I subsequently try to run Make [nearly nothing happens again]
: 4) Conclusion: Not much happened!

Yes, this is normal.  cgen is not compiled, but interpreted.
(By the way, getting at cgen and the rest of the related tools
is much better from CVS than from the rare .tar.gz-type snapshots.)

: 5) However, I then try to manually invoke guile and do an opcodes-port
: of the m32r using the procedure in section 5.5 of the manual. I can see
: that the files are processed but no text outputs are generated. [...]

Some of the cgen-invoking wrapper scripts (in the opcodes and simulator
directories) overwrite generated source files only if the replacement
files are different.  They do this in order to preserve the time stamp.

I would suggest not invoking cgen through the interactive mechanisms,
but through the Makefiles in the opcodes/sim/etc. directories, as
described on the cgen faq-o-matic pages at
   http://sources.redhat.com/fom/cgen

- FChE

PGP signature