Re: cgen/gas: some support for funny-endian instruction sets

Frank Ch. Eigler writes:
 > On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:12:04AM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
 > : [...]
 > : This isn't the definition of "word-bitsize" that a gcc hacker
 > : would expect.  I think a lot of other people would also find this confusing.
 > : What's "word-bitsize" on sparc64?  If it's not 64, you've got problems.
 >
 > The gcc meaning might be relevant, if only the word-bitsize parameter
 > was actually used for something in cgen in a similar way than it might
 > be in gcc.  Yes, a differently named parameter would be nice, but so
 > would elimination of unused parameters.

There's a tug-of-war between not specifying things that aren't used
and providing basic support and/or guidance to future uses of cgen.
Just because some attribute of an architecture isn't used by current
applications of cgen is _not_ a priori reason enough to not specify it.
In this case I think the presence of word-bitsize is useful.