Re: guile 1.6.4 a bit faster?

Ben Elliston writes:
 > Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:
 >
 > > While the explicit symbol/string conversions introduce some minimal
 > > slowness on the cgen side, guile 1.6.4 appears to be faster thus
 > > making up for it.  [or maybe the gcc that compiled 1.6.4 is much
 > > improved over the gcc that compiled 1.3 :-) guess I should verify
 > > that ...]
 >
 > So are you now getting over the demise of Hobbit? :-)

It cost nothing to have the support.
If it bitrots let me fix it.
And the fun factor was just way too huge, which was the whole point of cgen.
After several miserable years on (pre-egcs) gcc, I desparately needed to
rediscover a joy of hacking.

The cynic in me wonders if there was some internal political
reason for its removal.