Re: wnpp: cgen -- cpu tools generator

Hi -

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 10:11:04PM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> cgen looks like an interesting tool, but I'm not sure about all of it's
> uses. The description says it has simulators. What kind of simulator?

cgen can generate the instruction-decoding kernels of gdb and sid
simulators.  See http://sources.redhat.com/gdb and /sid.

> Could it be used to create an emulator?

To my EE ears, an "emulator" refers to a physical device that plugs
into the socket of the chip being emulated.  A simulator is a software
program that does an abstract form of that.  cgen does not deal with
emulators of this kind.

> Are there any alternatives to these tools available in Debian? [...]

I don't know.

- FChE