I mainly need an as and ld port

Thanks for the help. GCC and friends is a much larger universe
than I expected.

My need is to just assemble, load, and create an S-file for
a PROM burner.

There is no need to use the GCC compiler or any higher level
language.

Is CGEN overkill for what I am trying to do?

The Z8000 is sort of close to the MECA-43.  Basically all 16 bit
instructions and both 16 and 32 bit data.

Looking at the z8kgen.c file and the m32r files made by CGEN
for the m32r there is almost no relation.

Looked through the gas opcode documentation. Tried to use
"makinfo --html" to make the *.texi files readable. But, can't
find the root of the tree of files. Everything fails because
something or another is not defined. Only a few files made any
output. (I have no clue how to run Emacs and the info document
reader thing doesn't know anything about the files that I
want to look at.)

I can't find out how to make a file like z8kgen.c. All the things
are encoded with codes that I can't find any description of.

Your suggestion of hand-written gas/bfd/ld/simulator code seems
the way to go. Hours of searching has produced no results for
information on the exact files to be made, the exact format of
each files, how to update the make files for automake, etc. etc.
I expect that it should be in the binutils package, but I can't
find it.

Thanks,
Bob Lindley