Re: unable to find precise mode to match cpu word-bitsize 24

Dave Korn wrote:
Doug Evans wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:
Doug Evans wrote:

This is new ground so we can decide how we want things to look, and then
make it work.
Well, what I'd particularly like in this case would be for my pc to
increment by one for each 24-bit insn, rather than have the model
pretend to
be an 8-bit CISC machine processing all 3-byte instructions, if you
see what I
mean.
Righto. That should be doable regardless.

I hope so. Should I just take the blunt sledgehammer approach, and define setters and getters for hardware units h-addr and h-iaddr that multiply/divide by 3 on the fly, and let the underlying framework pretend it's a CISC machine that uses 3-byte operands and data? Or is there a cleaner way to go?

Sorry for the slow reply.

Regarding "and let the underlying framework pretend ...", I think it depends on the framework. If you want to run a simulator on linux, say, what would you *want* it to look like?

I think it should be possible to define things as you want in the description file, and then have the app source generators deal with the mapping from the architecture description to the app's implementation of that description. We'll probably need to extend the opcodes and simulator generators, but if it's the right thing to do, let's do it.

IOW I'm not sure I'd add hardware setters/getters to do the mapping. Instead I'd like to see if the appropriate information could be passed to the simulator generator and it would generate its own getters/setters (or just make calls to something that is then provided by the underlying framework).