Instruction w/ prefix

Hello,

I'm using cgen to create binutils port for the CISC architecture
(M68HC(S)08 if somebody cares). I've stumbled upon one problem: the is
an instruction prefix which can change meaning
of the next instruction (basically it then uses SP register instead of IX one).

What is the most clean way to do this w/ cgen? I can of course
duplicate instruction fields, counting another byte in the beginning,
instructions, etc.. This will permit me to catch illegal combinations.
OTOH it doesn' look like completely clean idea.

What would you suggest?

--
With best wishes
Dmitry