Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

rms@santafe.edu said:
> What proprietary embedded application developers do is not the most
> important issue for the GNU project.  Our mission is to provide good
> free operating systems for humans to use directly on their computers.

This makes a certain degree of sense, and the rest of your message is fine,
but from this statement I gather that you are dismissing embedded programmers
as an audience worth attention.

We (I) like GNU software and the GNU process in general, and frankly I have
no trouble with the idea of allowing access to the source code for my
toaster, but I wonder if I can really comply with the GPL even if I
specifically intend to. Is providing the firmware C code for a device that
cannot really be reprogrammed honestly complying with either the spirit or
letter of the GNU public license?
steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,