FW: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request (now: Free Firmware)

Increasingly,  software defines the device not the hardware.  Device
integration has brought hardware design to the point where it is mostly
pasting blocks together.  While software seems to represent little or no
part of the cost of manufacturing some device, it does have real value.
It has become much, much more complex and usually represents the bulk of
development costs, and thus the real value of the device.  So, when you
buy a device with embedded firmware, what are you really paying for?  Is
it the hardware?  Is it the software?  I would assert that it is a
little of both, and a lot of NRE on the software development.  Surely,
we can't expect people to give this away, can we? How will they fund
it's development?

While I'm all for the GNU project and free software, we can't seriously
ask that this concept be taken too far or none of us will have a means
of eating.  We should not forget that the donations to the FSF are by
people who are making a living practicing their trade.  If the fruits of
all our labors were suddenly free, the demand for software developers
would diminish and so too would the FSF.  The profits in this business
are in software, not hardware.  Don't believe me?  Just look at the
revenue per employee at Microsoft vs. Compaq.

-brian