Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

    >     toaster, but I wonder if I can really comply with the
    > GPL even if I specifically intend to. Is providing the
    > firmware C code for a device that cannot really be
    > reprogrammed honestly complying with either the spirit or
    > letter of the GNU public license?

    Richard> I think so.  It is not your fault that a ROM is hard to
    Richard> modify.  The GPL says you mustn't put up legal barriers
    Richard> to modify the code.  It doesn't say you have to redesign
    Richard> your system to make it easy to install a new program.

Thank you, Richard!  I always held this view myself, but it never
ceases to amaze me how many other people hold the view expressed by
the person you cited.  Hearing this from you may not constitue opinion
of counsel, but it certainly indicates the spirit intended by the
GPL.  Thank you again for going on record as having said this, as this
is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

BTW This list is archived at http://www.elilabs.com/xgccarc/index.html

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424