Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

>    then how do you protect a proprietary hardware design
>
>In general, if something makes it hard for people to keep the specs of
>hardware secret, I would consider that a step forward.  The
>concealment of hardware designs for PC hardware has been a great
>problem for the free software community.  I have little sympathy with
>someone who wants to keep hardware specs secret merely so as to beat
>out someone else.

I don't wish to imflame or to provoke, but I must take exception to your
statement that you "have little sympathy with someone who wants to keep
hardware specs secret merely so as to beat out someone else".

If a company puts money, time and considerable risk into an effort to design
and bring a product to market they want to make sure that effort ends up
paying a dividend rather than being a losing proposistion. If they develop a
novel way to speed up graphics or to lower the cost of a disk controller
board or just do a really good job of designing a "widget", why should
everyone else have the privledge of copying that design and in essence
"stealing" their profit (which might not exist even if you do buy their
product, depending on the market)?

Companies are not greedy, malevolent leeches. Companies exist to produce
something that has value to users who show their need for the product by
buying it. If people feel that a company is not worthy of the profit they
derive from producing goods, then they can simply not buy those goods. But
that is no reason to feel that the property of the company should be taken
from them. That is just what a trade secret is, Property!

So, now that I have gotten off of my soapbox, do you care to reply as to why
you feel that a company should not be entitled to trade secret protection?

Rick Collins

Rick Collins  Email: redsp@writeme.com
re:DSP, A Signal Processing Solutions Company
P.O. Box 1253
Warrenton, VA 20188-1253
540-349-9606
Web Page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/redsp/