Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

At 02:17 AM 1/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>    If they develop a
>    novel way to speed up graphics or to lower the cost of a disk controller
>    board or just do a really good job of designing a "widget", why should
>    everyone else have the privledge of copying that design ...
>
>That is not a privilege.  Privilege is keeping others down.  For
>example, keeping them in ignorance so that they cannot compare with
>you.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I have no idea of what you are talking about.

This is a simple matter of ownership just like my car or my house. I own my
car and only I can legally use it. Someone might think that they should be
able to borrow it when I am at work as long as they fill it with gas and
have it back when I get off at 5. But that is not right. I OWN it. I say
whether anyone else gets to use it, regardless of my own need for it.

Now this may not seem "right" in some ideal society where everyone is
supposed to get what they need regardless of who pays for it. But this is
the only way we have found to run our society and be able to keep our cars
in good repair. I am not responsible for suppling my car to others,
regardless of their need.

The same applies to computers or any other invention. If I designed
something and I decide not to share it with the world, that is my right. If
I want to use my time, my money and take a chance on making a profit with my
invention by trying to sell it to the world, that is my right and I can
still make every attempt to keep the design secret.

What do you mean by "keeping them in ignorance so that they cannot compare
with you"??? If someone else wants to make something like my widget, why
can't they perspire over their own lab bench and produce their own invention
that may well beat out my invention? Why should I have to share my secrets
with them???

There is an interesting book about these ideas, written by Ann Rand, called
"Atlas Shrugged", also "The Fountainhead". I have read the first but not the
second. At the time I read "Atlas Shrugged" I thought that it was a silly,
pretentious example of her idealistic philosophy. But now that I have let it
simmer in my mind for a few years (and seen some of the "pretentious"
principles in action in my Government job) I am starting to be a believer.

You might pick up one or the other and read it. Maybe it will give you a few
ideas to think about.

Rick Collins

Rick Collins  Email: redsp@writeme.com
re:DSP, A Signal Processing Solutions Company
P.O. Box 1253
Warrenton, VA 20188-1253
540-349-9606
Web Page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/redsp/