Re: How do I configure a cross-compiler for Coldfire CPUs?

Hi,

>I've built and used cross-compilers in the past for the m68k. I'd now like
>to build a cross-compiler for the Motorola Coldfire mcf520x/mcf530x.
Looking
>at the gcc-2.8.0 sources it's not clear to me how to configure the compiler
>for Coldfire. Can anyone help?
>
>I notice there's a `-m5200' run-time flag. Can I build a m68k
cross-compiler
>and just supply this flag at compile time?

Essentially you just create a standard m68k-coff or similar cross-compiler
and run with -m5200 rather than (say) -m68020 or -m68000 as the processor
option. The build should create the appropriate libraries for you (m5200
directory in m68k-coff/lib).

If you want a Win32 cross-compiler then feel to pick up my pre-built
binaries from http://www.calm.hw.ac.uk/davidf/coldfire.htm You might also be

There are a couple of bugs in the Coldfire support in gcc (details in the
mailing list archives) but they have been reported to the appropriate people
so fixes should be forthcoming :) The MCF53xx series of processors is not
(yet) explicitly supported by gcc/binutils but using MCF5200 code should be
OK for 99% of applications....if a little slow if you want to use hardware
divide and the MAC unit.

Dave

David Fiddes, CALM Software Production Officer
Department of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
email D.J.Fiddes@hw.ac.uk - Tel: +44 131-451-3251