RE: Non-Standard Compilier Tools

At 06:17 AM 5/5/98 -0700, Dave New wrote:
>> From:	Richard Collins - reDSP [SMTP:redsp@writeme.com]
>> Does anyone know if there is a movement to develop under the GCC
>> methodology, any compilers for non-standard or non-software uses? For
>> example, is anyone working on hardware design tools such as VHDL or
>> schematic capture?
>	[Dave New]  Maybe it's because the hardware community (chip vendors)
>	keep their programming algorithms proprietary.  At least the CPU vendors
>	publish (most of 8-) their instruction set.  Imagine how difficult it
>	would be to develop GNU-like tools for CPUs with 'secret' instruction
sets...

That is true. But the way to work around that is to continue to use the
chip-vendor supplied backend tool. This is typically much less expensive
than the third party front end tool and typically works well. If there was
a significant EXISTING market for a gnu like frontend tool, I am sure that
the chip-vendors would serve it with a standardized backend tool, maybe
even a gnu model backend tool???

As I said in a post in another newsgroup once, it is not worth the while of
the user community to create backend tools. Backend tools are closely tied
to the fast changing chips and no one other than the chip-vendor could keep
up with the pace of hardware development. That was one of the limitations
of Neocad, a third party end to end tool developer.

I did get a couple of emails listing various sources of free tools (or
almost tools). But because most of them work with Linux, I can't use them
until I come up to speed with that.

I have always been rather intimidated with the Unix OS. I only had a little
exposure to it back when I was in school. That was somewhat painful due to
the various oddities of Unix. I still can't figure out why the backspace
and delete keys can't just be backspace and delete. Add to that the fact
that the software people where I currently work treat the matter as, "If
you don't know Unix, you must not be able to learn". So if I am to learn to
use it, I will have to learn it on my own. I'm not sure that I am up to
that while trying to get all of my work done too.

I suspect that if I took the time to learn Unix/Linux, I would end up
liking it. But if I learn now, after all these years, I may find out that I
have been doing it wrong all my life!!!  ;^)

Rick Collins

reDSP - A Signal Processing Solutions Company

redsp@writeme.com

reDSP
4 King Ave
Frederick, MD 21701-3110