Re: Macraigor wiggler(BDM) on ppc860 under Linux

Vaughan Hillman wrote:

> I took a look into the Wiggler(parallel device)
> running under GDB and it seems that it only works under WIN32. The
> drivers to run the wiggler are written by Macraigor, the company who
> makes the device and they only have dll libraries.  I have also seen
> patches for
> GDB (4.17) to add support for BDM devices for m68k
> and drivers for the Linux kernel(2.1 series) to make this work.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the Wiggler
> working under GDB under any system other than WIN32
> for the PowerPc 860?

Not the wiggler or PPC, but I maybe able to help with the BDM driver.

Do you have doco on the wiggler hardware ?

I have just completed a driver for Linux 2.0.xx kernels which supports
the CPU32 and Coldfire processors. The Coldfire support is for the P&E
interface which comes with the EVB board. This is all from the one
driver. I am currently look at the gdb side of things at the moment. I
am not sure where the ppc860 sits in the BDM world. The Coldfire is
better to use than the CPU32.

The work I have done is based on the CPU32 driver from Eric Norum
(eric@skatter.usask.ca). I used this driver because it has a library
interface to the driver and so the gdb side of things was cleaner. It
also makes it easier to support tools such as a flash programmer.

You can find Eric's patches at :

  ftp://skatter.usask.ca/pub/eric/BDM-Linux-gdb/

The main change I have made is to move the low level bit bashing
functions into processor/interface specific functions. This was not hard
considering the clean nature of the driver to start with.

--
 Chris Johns  Networks, Plessey Asia Pacfic Pty. Ltd.
  mailto:ccj@acm.org    mailto:cjohns@plessey.com.au