Building libgloss on DOS/Windoze for 68k target

I d/l David Fiddes latest release of the GNU compiler (V5)

I have reached the stage now where I need to create my own
lib files for my target.
I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild the libs for
my own target.
I d/l newlib-1.8.1 from Cygnus.
The target is a customised 68k box.

I would like to build an empty library with just
write/read/open/close etc and no support for the underlying hardware
I would like to provide this support in my 'project tree'

I have tried running make against makfile.in in the libgloss dir
and also against makefile.in in the m68k dir...all to no avail

What am I missing?
Anybody tried this...???

(due to various commercial pressures my main PC is a windoze box,
sad but true)

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.