Re: More problems with building crosscomp. Solaris->powerpc (vxw

Alexander V. Voinov <avoinov@raima.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build egcs-1.1b as a crosscompiler from sun-solaris-2.5.1
> to powerpc-wrs-vxworks.
>
> I have overcome the problem wiht 'as -ppc'
> setting appropriate link by hand: ../gcc/as-new --->
> .../usr/bin/powerpc-wrs-elf32
> to previously built binutils configured for powerpc-*-elf32 because they
> don't know about vxvworks.

 Your words "configured for powerpc-*-elf32", if you really configured using
this, seems to be quite common misunderstanding when giving a name to the
target. I remember answering four or five problems because of using a name
with a '*' in it...

 Although the entries for the targets are like 'powerpc-*-elf32', this
doesn't mean we must or even can use these names!  Instead of using these
'wildcard' names, we must use a fully defined names like
'powerpc-motorola-elf32', or we can leave the 'manufacturer name' undefined
and use names like 'powerpc-elf32'.

 I don't know what happens with binutils if using a target name with '*',
but I can imagine that there will be problems when trying to install, commands
like 'mkdir /usr/local/powerpc-*-elf32' will surely fail...

 With GCC the build crashes when trying the built-in-linker script with
"SEARCH_DIR=/usr/local/powerpc-*-elf32" or something...

 I would like to hear which is the reason or misunderstanding that puts one
to use these wildcard names. There is some bug in the install guide surely,
just assuming that everybody knows that the '*' is a wildcard character
meaning 'anything', and not saying that "the target name must be a fully
defined name", not a name with wildcard characters!  At this age of GUIs
perhaps nobody can assume that the wildcards are recognized when seen...

> The next problem arises: It infinitely loops at rebuilding libgcc2.a. I
> have hacked it by hand, just to go on, and then it fell in something similar
> later. I was too tired to record what happened...

 Your "infinitely loops" probably are just the buils of the multilibs...

 If you look at your Makefile and search the word 'MULTILIB', you'll find the
definitions for all the different variations of libraries it must build. The
definitions come from 'config/rs6000/t-<something>' for the 'powerpc-wxworks'
target.  Just edit it to get only those libraries you need, and try 'make'
again (it should reconfigure). Or just edit these things in your Makefile...

 Cheers, Kai

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.