Re: using gdb with target h8300 sim

> Jyrki O Saarinen wrote:
> > could you briefly explain the process how the cross-generated code is
> > debugged in gdb? Where it is run?
>
> I'm using gdb-4.17 compiled with h8300 support and using
> egcs-1.1b h8300 cross compiler to generate h8300-coff format output
> with the "-g" debug option.

 Quite many targets have the simulator. When using the tcl/tk-GUI (gdbtk),
I had to fix the simulator source to put the output to 'stdout' to appear
in the 'terminal' window (the 'DOS-box/console' in Win32 and the xterm in
Linux, from where the gdb was started). It puts the output to the GDB
command window (where you write those 'target sim', 'load' etc. commands)
as the default. All the japanese targets seemed to have this 'bug', but
'mips', 'powerpc', 'arm' etc. didn't.

 So, if someone wants to add the 'gdbtk' GUI to gdb-4.17.x (I already sent
the patches for gdb-4.17.1) and wants to fix the 'stdout', feel free to
ask me. BTW, the GDB GUI screenshot can be seen at:
   www.nettilinja.fi/~ankosken
There are links to gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-1.1 based cross-compiler binaries
(with the GUI-based gdb-4.17.1) for h8300-hms target and Win32-host at
ftp.franken.de... (for ARM and SH targets too, but only from egcs-1.1
sources).

Anyway, has someone recently used the BSVC m68000/68360-simulator with
GCC and GDB ? The 2.1 version was released some time ago. The site:
  http://www2.ncsu.edu/eos/service/ece/project/bsvc/www
has the stuff and a 10 page paper (in PS), "Using GCC and GDB with BSVC/68K",
but if someone knows anything else, please tell me...  The 'm68k-*' targets
are those not having a 'built-in' simulator in GDB. Ok, some automatics could
be needed in GDB like 'target bsvc' and 'load' starting bsvc and taking the
compiled binary to it...

Cheers,  Kai