Re: PPC821 cross compiler for NT host

Michel_Pinton@swhouse.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a cross compiler for a PPC821 hosted on NT (SP3) .
> Can I use the new b20.1 cygwin (egcs) release (binaries and source)  and
> build a cross-compiler from that?  Or do I have to pick and choose the
> various pieces for the version specified in the cross-gcc FAQ?

The cross gcc FAQ deals mainly with how to do a Canadian Cross, that is
building a DOS-hosted compiler on Unix to generate code for an embedded
target.  On cygwin you don't need to do this.  However you still need the
binutils, run time library, etc.   You should use the 'one-pass' procedure as
described in section 4.2 of the FAQ.

Another alternative is to download the pre-compiled binaries from
http://www.objsw.com , they won't be able to handle long file names under NT
(since they're DOS applications) but everything else you need is there.

> I'm alittle at a loss.   What I did was download the binaries and source,
> create a new directory for where the xcompiled code should go, and typed
> the following in the bash shell delivered as part of the b20.1 release:
>
> bash-2.02$ ../src/configure --prefix=/cygnus/cygwin-b20
> --target=powerpc-eabi
> bash-2.02$ make > make.log 2>&1
>
> But this didn't really do much, creates some directories, built a library
> or two, but not alot.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a PPC port for Little-Endian mode?  Our other
> "embedded" compiler is the PPC821 compiler from Microsoft for Windows CE
> 2.x and it's ETK, Windows CE wants things Little-Endian (Wintel, what do
> you expect?); so for our CE-specific work we have to use that compiler but
> I was hoping to get the GNU cross compiler working for our H/W engineers
> for there low-level board debug.

The power pc compiler has a command line option (-mlittle) to generate
little-endian code.  It should work fine for generating small standalone test
programs, but for developing CE apps it would be impractical to convert all of
the Microsoft header files and libraries to be compatible with gnu cc.