building powerpc-eabi cross under linux

Has anyone had any luck building gcc 2.8.1 for powerpc-eabi hosted on
linux?

The build always dies and I get the following message.

_ucmpdi2
_floatdidf
xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 7

I put some debug code into gcc and it appears to be something related
to floating point exceptions.

I get the exact same problem when using egcs 1.1b and egcs 1.1.1

I have tried binutils-2.9.1 and binutils-2.9.1.0.19a and am also using
newlib-1.8.1.  I am currently using Redhat 5.0 and on Monday I am
going to try this on a Redhat 5.2 machine.

Thanks,
	Vaughan