generating a cross compiler for powerpc-wrs-vxworks

Hi and Help,

I'm trying with little luck to configure binutils-2.9.1 and
gcc-2.8.1 for my VxWorks system. First off it seems that
I can't use powerpc-wrs-vxworks like the compiler that
comes with the Wind River release. Is powerpc-elf a suitable
choice? I tried modifying some of the configuration files to
add a powerpc-wrs-vxworks target but must have missed something.

	ld/configure.tgt and bfd/config.bfd

(I think those are the only two I changed). Th compile of
gas fails because the macro TARGET_FORMAT is not defined.

My ultimate goal in case there is an easier way to accomplish
this is to be able to use files in the standard template library.
I'm using algorithm, set, bitset and list.

I also need iomanip, I/O and string streams and exceptions. I have
virtually no experience with VxWorks so I don't know yet if these
will be a problem but I'm certain the STL will be a problem for me.

If the above can be accomplished using gcc-2.7.2 that Wind River ships
please let me know.

Thanks,
 - Joel