Re: mingw-hosted xgcc

Jx Saarinen wrote:

> Actually I managed to do this OK. But when I tested the mingw32-h8300
> cross  toolset, h8300-hms-gcc test.c somehow managed to call i386-as
> claiming 'c:\tmp\tjaetj.s this is not a legal i386 instruction'.

 The '<GCC> -print-search-dirs' (GCC = h8300-hms-gcc now) is the normal
way to check or debug the installation.

 If it shows quite wrong search paths for programs (cpp, cc1, as, ld),
something went wrong, or you have to use the directories it uses, or
have to use the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, or to do something else.

> building binutils-2.9.1 (the newest?) to --target=h8300-hms is
> OK when --host=i586-linux but when i586-cygwin32/mingw32 is involved
> (ie. compiling mingw/cygwin cross h8300-hms in linux or compiling
> target=h8300-hms in cygwin fails at srconv.c)? In Linux I can
> build binutils-2.9.1 without problems at all.

 There is a hassle with the 'EXEEXT' in 'SRCONV_PROG'... As you
can see, in the Makefile the 'SRCONV_PROG' is defined to be three
programs, but it is used with as '$(SRCONV_PROG)$(EXEEXT)', just as
it was a single program...

 So you have to edit the Makefile and add the '$(EXEEXT)' after the
three program names in the 'SRCONV_PROG' definition, and remove all
the '$(EXEEXT)'s after the '$(SRCONV_PROG)'s...

 I think this being fixed in the current egcs-snapshots, i.e. these things
edited in the Makefile.in. If you think you will reconfigure, as is the
case with the two hosts you need -- edit the 'Makefile.in' instead...

 Cheers, Kai